Friday 26 August 2011

End of Graduate Trainee year round up

Today was my last day as a graduate trainee. Wait, what?

...

The year's over?

...

Already?!

Wow. That went incredibly quickly. I guess that shows how much I've enjoyed myself this year! I won't bore you with an in-depth, blow-by-blow account of the whole year - I've blogged about most of the interesting parts anyway so I will just take the moment to remind myself (and you, poor thing) of them!

I've learnt the basics of being a librarian, and for the first time seen all of the workings of an academic library throughout the entire year, as opposed to just during term time. Along the way there's been funny times, stressful times, and "oh crap" times. I've been to read-ins, seminars, conferences, and been on more library visits than you could shake a stick at.


I've dipped my toe in the world of library advocacy and was lucky enough to win a place at the New Professionals Conference as a result. I've seen how, spurred on by one of the papers at the conference, #uklibchat has sprung into being and I have thoroughly enjoyed taking part in this each fortnight.

This year I've helped to organise a rerun of the Cam23 programme for librarians in Cambridge, and CPD23 for information professionals worldwide. Both organising and taking part in these programmes have been great experiences, though pretty much consumed all of my librarian-energy for a while, especially back in May!

And I've met (whether in person or virtually) a ton of lovely people, both in Cambridge and beyond, who are mostly responsible for getting me involved in all of the above!

In a few weeks I'll be off to UCL to start my Master’s degree, meanwhile I'll be staying on at Newnham as a part-time library assistant.


No comments:

Post a Comment