Friday 5 August 2011

[CPD23] Thing 11: Mentoring

I haven't had an official mentor so far, however if I was to go by Meg's description of a mentor being "someone who takes an active interest in your career either by sharing advice and knowledge or by facilitating professional opportunities," then I have had a few unofficial mentors, in particular the librarian and senior library assistant at Newnham. Additionally, as I'm something like the 16th trainee they've had at Newnham, there's a whole succession of people who've been in the same job, and who are very helpful when I ask them for advice!

Next year I will have a mentor at the Stationers' Company, which I'm really looking forward to. I've been told they usually put Librarianship students with librarians, but "in my case" (i.e. I burbled a lot about social media in my interview!), it might be someone in Digital Media which would be very interesting. I think this will be pretty darn helpful while I'm doing my MA, and I'm going to try my best to be a good mento mentee and cultivate the relationship.

Right, off to read those mentoring articles!

No comments:

Post a Comment