Friday 29 July 2011

[CPD23] Thing 9: Evernote

By nhanusek on Flickr
Evernote is something I started playing around with last week for Cam23 2.0, and I think it’s going to be very useful. I can see it coming in handy when studying for my MA next year, to keep all my notes in one place.

I’ve downloaded the desktop application, the website clipper addon and the Android app, and made a few test notes. I like that there’s an Android app, though so far I’m a bit disappointed that searching the text in the photos I’ve uploaded to experiment with hasn’t worked yet. To be fair, my phone doesn’t have a flash and I’m taking it by the rather dim light of an energy-saving light bulb, so my pictures are a bit fuzzy! I think I need to do a bit more experimenting with this.

I've been reading a few other blog entries on Evernote, and a few people have been worried about the privacy and security of having things in the cloud. I've never been too worried about this - maybe I'm being naive and foolish but for me the benefits of being able to access everything I want wherever I am far outweigh the tiny risk that someone is going to steal all my notes and photos. And if they did, then they wouldn't be getting anything that juicy to be honest, it's not as if I save my bank account details as a Google Doc...

No comments:

Post a Comment