Monday 28 February 2011

What I've been reading in February (non-library)


Diana Wynne Jones, Howl's Moving Castle. As I rather tipsily proclaimed to the world on twitter a few weeks ago, this is one of my favourite films, so I was keen to read the book it was based on. The book is quite different from the film, Howl is much more vain and cowardly, less the typical troubled hero. He also has more  backstory which is interesting, although I do prefer the Ghibli film.

Erick Setiawan, Of Bees and Mist. I took my time reading this one, but I did enjoy it a lot. It was a sad, beautiful story.

Amy Tan, The Kitchen God's Wife. Really liked this book, mostly set in China during the Second World War, about a family with a lot of secrets. I picked this up at one of the book sales we had at the library last term, 50p very well spent!

Terry Pratchett, Going Postal. Terry Pratchett was an author who passed me by when I was the *ahem* appropriate age *ahem - that doesn't exist for books* so I'm catching up by borrowing them from Rory, and in this case the library. He's one of those authors that I have to laugh out loud while reading his books.

Ree Drummond, Black Heels to Tractor Wheels.  Yes, I read a love story about cowboys. Yes, I enjoyed it! Mostly because it was written by the Pioneer Woman, and she's my steak-grilling, confession-splurging, basset-hound-loving, ranch-wife idol.

Simon Garfield, Just My Type: A Book About Fonts. From why everyone hates Comic Sans to why motorway road signs were tied to the top of Ford Anglias and driven across an airfield. I'm now...wait for it...a font of knowledge! *badaboom*

No comments:

Post a Comment