Thursday 30 December 2010

What I've been reading in 2010

 I've been reading a lot of 2010 roundup posts recently. I thought I'd steer clear of the "what have I learnt in 2010?" type post as it would probably just come out sounding trite and clichéd. Instead, I'm doing a roundup of the most interesting things I've read this year. Hopefully this might also be useful to people applying for graduate trainee jobs for next year!

One thing that became very obvious is how I've got a lot better at bookmarking things as I've gone through the year!


Applying for graduate trainee jobs:

The Times, How do I Become...a Librarian? (From 2006)

Librarians Who LibraryThing, "I want to be a librarian because I love reading"

New York Times, A Hipper Crowd of Shushers (From 2007)

NPR, Will an Apple Tablet Heat Up E-Book War?

Marilyn Johnson, This Book is Overdue! How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All (Harper, 2010)

Starting out at Newnham, applying for Masters:

The Wikiman, Essential Advice for New Professionals

Neon Librarian, CILIP New Professionals Information Day 2010 - Embracing the Future

Librarian By Day, So You Want to be a Librarian? A Guide for those Considering an MLS, Current Students and Job Seekers (A lot of links to good advice on The Degree, The Job Search, General Professional Advice and Skills.)

Girl in the Moon, Some Thoughts on the LIS MA

N Page, The Librarianship Qualification

Swiss Army Librarian, Notes on Reading Resumes

Tony Horne, Evening Chronicle column November 26 2010

and a rebuttal to Horne's column: Thoughts of a [wannabe] librarian... "Libraries are dead" says little known regional radio bloke

The Wikiman, Libraries & Stealth Advocising!

Lauren Pressley, So You Want to be a Librarian (Litwin Books, 2009) (Shamefully I still haven't finished reading this book!)

Coming towards the end of the year:

Neon Librarian, End of Term Round-Up!

Girl in the Moon, Brown Bag Lunch: Is the Physical Library Redundant in the 21st Century?

Musings about Librarianship, My Information Consumption Habits or How Having a Smartphone has Changed the Way I Work

The Wikiman, 10 Online Tools I've Found Useful in 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment