Friday 18 November 2011

Acronyphobia

Urban Dictionary tells us:
Acronyphobia
The irrational fear of acronyms. One might have been in a very confusing conversation, not knowing what they were being told because of the excessive use of acronyms. When they hear an acronym, or see one, they have similar panic attacks and feelings to that of other phobias.

Dude, I've got Acronyphobia. I can't bear to hear or see an acronym, and just talking about it makes me shudder.
The following acronyms have been bandied about in the last week at library school:

AACR2, ALA, AR, BL, CAMiLEON (most ridiculous acronym ever?), CEDARS, CILIP, CLOCKSS, DDC, EAD, FRBR, HTML, IFLA, ISAD(G), ISBD, JISC, JSC, LCC, LCSH, LIFE, LoC, LOCKSS, MARC21, MARCXML, MLA, MODS/MADS, NPO, OCLC, OLIS, PADI, PLANETS, QR, RDA, REDS, RunCoCo, SC, SGML, UKMARC, UNIMARC, USMARC, XML...

by NinaMatthewsPhotography on Flickr

By next September will I know what all of these stand for?

4 comments:

  1. As long as you know what LIFE stands for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly don't know what these all mean, so I'll echo Orangeaurocks, LIFE is the important one, contrary to what a lot of people believe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just arrived via 'Roger'.... I like what you said and how you expressed your view, and I also just enjoyed Hugh Laurie.... thanks so much.
    all the best,
    Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jo. Hopefully a few others got chance to read it, he's deleted it already though, despite my best efforts to be polite and fair!

    ReplyDelete